Sunday, June 29, 2014

Contentment

11 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Phil. 4:11-13

God wants us to enjoy every season of our lives. I believe learning to live in contentment helps us truly enjoy our lives to the fullest. Living in contentment Natalie Villa paraphrased means to be at peace during every life circumstance. Contentment is described as a state of satisfaction and also peaceful happiness. The Bible describes being content as "satisfied to the point of being undisturbed." I don't know about you but sometimes I struggle with this! Being content does not mean that we do not want things in our lives to change but it means we are satisfied in the Lord until change comes. We often think that the grass is greener on the other side, but let's be honest- the grass is green wherever you water it! Paul describes contentment best in Phil. 4:11-13 when he says, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.... I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." 

Sometimes I find myself having a hard time being content but there are some simple truths that I have found proven and true to help me stay content:

1- A grateful and thankful heart- when we are thankful for every blessing it shifts our focus.

2- Stop comparing yourself to others- when we stop comparing we can be thankful for where we are and what we do have instead of what we don't.

3- Trust God to meet EVERY need- God will meet all our needs as we trust in Him :)

4- Finding strength in Christ- we can do ALL things through Christ who gives us strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment